Grand Rapids - Kalamazoo - Muskegon - Grand Haven - Holland

Insulation FAQ

What areas of my home should be insulated?
Insulation is not just for attics and outside walls. Insulation should also be installed in other areas of your home such as ceilings with unheated spaces, basement walls, floors above vented crawl spaces, cathedral ceilings, floors over unheated garages or porches, knee walls, in between interior walls (especially bathrooms), and ceilings or floors for extra sound control.

I’m on a budget. Will insulating certain areas of home result in larger energy savings?

Yes and no.  While insulating certain areas will provide you with long term energy savings, in order to fully realize the energy savings, one should properly insulate their entire home.

What is R-value?

Insulation is identified and labeled by its R-value. "R" stands for resistance to heat flow; therefore, the higher the R-value, the greater the insulating power.

How can I tell the R-value of my current insulation?

Different insulation products have different R-values so be sure to read the packaging carefully.  Additionally, the R-Value of your insulation can decrease over time as the product ages or settles. 

To determine the R-Value of your current insulation, please contact us at (888) 595-5753.

How much insulation do I need to install?

Different areas of the country have different recommended R-values for insulation based on your geographic location and its corresponding climate.  Subsequently, colder northern climates will have higher required R-Values than warmer tropical locales.

The amount of insulation needed is dependent on your home’s climate and the type of insulation being used.  Consult a professional insulation contractor to determine the necessary R-Values needed for your location. 

What is retrofit insulation?

Retrofit insulation is simply an industry term for the upgrade of an existing home’s insulation.

During a retrofit, do you need to remove my existing walls, siding, and/or floors?

No, during a retrofit, we will drill small, unobtrusive plugs into your existing home structure and fill your home’s cavities with either blown in fiberglass, cellulose, or foam insulation. 

Upon completion, any plugs will be repaired and replaced, leaving your home as it was prior to the retrofit insulation project.

What is the Michigan Uniform Energy Code?

The Michigan Uniform Energy Code (MUEC) was adopted by the State of Michigan in 2003 and covers all residential and commercial constructions.  The code requires that all new constructions meet minimum energy efficiencies.

Revised in 2008, the MUEC now requires more stringent minimum requirements for new residential constructions.  Compliance with the MUEC varies depending on the climate zone of the construction. 

Are there any tax credits available for home insulation upgrades?

Yes.  Tax credits are available to homeowners who upgrade their existing home’s insulation in accordance with the Federal ENERGY STAR Program; however, the tax credit is set to expire on January, 1, 2011.

For more information on the available insulation tax credits, please visit our Home Energy Tax Credits page.

Are there energy incentives available from my local utility company?

Yes, DTE Energy offers both federal and state energy incentives and rebates to consumers and businesses seeking to implement energy conservation programs.  For more information on energy incentives, please visit our Energy Rebates and Audits pages to determine how to qualify. 

Where can I find information on other Energy Saving opportunities?

A good source for energy saving tips is the Federal ENERGY STAR program website from the US Government,

Do I need to remove existing insulation that is already in place?

Not necessarily. Adding additional insulation can have a cumulative impact on the overall R-value.  A professional insulation contractor will be able to determine if the existing insulation can provide any cumulative effect.

Are certain insulation types more eco-friendly?

Yes.  Certain insulation types are more eco-friendly than others.  For example, the Nu-Wool Cellulose insulation we use at Ver Wys Home Improvement is made from 100% recycled paper.

For more information on our Eco-Friendly Insulation, please visit our Green Insulation Options page.

Can Ice Dams and/or the formation of icicles be caused from insulation or lack thereof?

Yes. Warm air inside your home can leak into the attic, warming the underside of your roof, causing snow and ice to melt and then refreeze as it runs off your roof.

Ice dams not only indicate inadequate insulation, they can cause damage to the structure of the house. Heat escaping from the house through a poorly insulated attic warms the shingles on the roof, melting the snow, which runs down the roof to the eaves.

Since the eaves overhang the house and are cold, the melted snow freezes when it reaches the eaves. When enough ice has formed at the eaves, it begins to stop or dam additional water from draining off the roof. The ice dams eventually grow under the shingles, causing melted snow to enter the ceiling and walls.