Grand Rapids - Kalamazoo - Muskegon - Grand Haven - Holland

2013 Home Improvement Tax Credits

ENERGY STAR ProgramExtending through December 31st, 2013, tax credits for home improvements will be available to consumers for home improvement projects to their primary residence.

Under the Federal ENERGY STAR® Program, homeowners are eligible for up to a $500 tax credit for home improvements to insulation as well as improvements on windows and doors.

To learn about the home improvement tax credits for insulation available to consumers, please view the information below or please contact us at (888) 595-5753 to see if you qualify.

Summary of Tax Credits For Homeowners

Product Type Tax Credit Details Tax Credit
Insulation Meets 2009 IECC & Amendments 10% of Cost, Up to $500
Not Including Installation & Labor
Windows, Doors, & Skylights Must be ENERGY STAR qualified 10% of Cost, Up to $500
Not Including Installation & Labor
Storm Windows & Storm Doors In combination with the exterior window over which it is installed:
1. Has a U-factor and SHGC of 0.30 or below
2. Meets the IECC
10% of Cost, Up to $500
Not Including Installation & Labor

Home Improvement Tax Credit Details

Typical bulk insulation products can qualify, such as batts, rolls, blow-in fibers, rigid boards, expanding spray, and pour-in-place.

Products that air seal (reduce air leaks) can also qualify, as long as they come with a Manufacturers Certification Statement, including:

How To Apply for Home Improvement Tax Credits

To claim the tax credits for your qualifying home improvement upgrades, you will need to file IRS Form 5695 and file with your 2013 taxes. Be sure to save any and all receipts for your records, as well as the Manufacturer’s Certification Statement, which is a signed statement from the manufacturer certifying that the product or component qualifies for the tax credit.

Manufacturers should provide these Certifications on their website. If you need a copy, please call the manufacturer, or search their respective website. Taxpayers must keep a copy of the certification statement for their records, but do not have to submit a copy with their tax return.